Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 197 = Running + Grunting

I've noticed that during my workouts with my trainer, I've been grunting lately. Sometimes it's because I'm working my ass off and sometimes it's more of a "I don't wanna do this" grunt but I know I'm gonna have to reluctantly suck it up and do it anyway. I finished my 8-mile run this morning (the last 3 miles were speedwork splits) and I walked over to the others at the water stop and let out a big, involuntary grunt. The grunt was ignored by the others in my group standing around because they all get it. But I was a bit mortified that I'd just grunt like that. In public. It makes me wonder how often I say fuck and shit and Jesus Christ at work and not even realize it. I also grunt at work, but it's more of me letting out a long sigh because I hold my breath to deal with stress. I forget to breathe.

I could have totally hung around and continued grunting, but I had my heart set on a breakfast taco at Juanita's. It's becoming my new fave. I think I'm going to have the first-time marathoners in my group meet up after their run at Juanita's train shack. I thought I'd be good this morning and ordered my migas taco with egg whites. It was just as good. I don't know what it is about those tacos, but if I was more into Yelp, I'd be Yelping the shit out of that place.

I had to be good because I was co-hosting a "honeymoon" shower for my friend Mary at my house today. And I knew there were about 3 dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries in my fridge and about 3 dozen stuffed mushrooms that I'd made last night. And the mini sandwiches and guacamole and fruit. Plus the sangria and the shot bar that my friend and co-host Shelli and I came up with. The photo is of us three (Shelli, Mary, me) at the shower today. The food was a big hit. We had also ordered mini cupcakes from L's Cupcake Cafe. The icing rocked, but the cake could have been more moist. And for about a dollar a cupcake, L must be making a mint. Here's something you can save money on and impress your friends.

Heather's Chocolate-dipped Strawberries
1 pound chocolate almond bark
2 pints strawberries with stems if available (rinsed and dried)

1. Melt the bark in a microwave-safe dish (about 90 seconds) according to package instructions.
2. Dip strawberries in the chocolate and lay on a flat surface (like a lined cookie sheet) to harden.

Done. Enjoy. This recipe costs about $7 to make and looks totally fancy. Beware - there are about 30 calories per berry.

No comments:

Post a Comment