Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 183 = Running + Tacos

I am living in a world of regret today. I so know better than to stay up late the night before a long run. And I am paying for it.

Plans for Friday night? Why, yes
Number of glasses of wine? 4-5?
Bedtime last night? 12:15 am
Wake up time this morning? 6 f-ing 15 am
Miles run today? 7

I was totally planning on going on autopilot this morning during my run along Scenic, but my coach switched it up and we ran up Barton Hills. I can do Scenic in my sleep, and I was planning on it. But eh, not happening this morning. So I headed out following the other runners along the south side of Town Lake, over the little foot bridge and further south along Robert E. Lee. I think this is actually part of the Austin Marathon route, so it makes sense. And hills are good. Uh, sure they are.

So around 3 miles or so, I was reminded of my old marathon training strategy: no fiber the day before. Usually, I'd load up on carbs during the week and then treat myself to cheesy eggs for breakfast on the Friday before a long run. But what did I eat yesterday? A whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Friends, this predicament I was in is what runners call the "runners trots." That bagel was talking to me. I was cramping. I was having trouble maintaining. So much so that I lost the route.

I decided to head east on Barton Skyway because I figured I'd run into a main road that I could take back down to the lake trail. And I did. I was somewhere on South Lamar by about mile 4. Actually, I'm not sure how many miles I'd run because I'd accidentally paused my Garmin at some point when I stopped to double over with cramps. The only thing open at 7:45 am on South Lamar and Barton Skyway was a 7-11, but no way was I going to use those facilities.

I decided to head back the way I came. At this point, I had pretty much sweated off any hangover I had and was enjoying the run, er, walking and cramping, the best that I could. You know, there's nothing like knowing just how far away you are from a clean bathroom when your insides are literally making noises like they are about to start a Jihad. Doesn't everyone else love being up at the crack of dawn and then "running" at 8 am when you're hungover, cramping and lost? Good news is I burned over 900 calories and a great song by The Cure came on my iPod ("Last Dance") that reminded me of living in England. It's times like these when I'm running that I tap into those old memories to get me to the next bathroom. Also, I just wanted to mention one of my favorite bands in my blog.

But before I headed home, I decided (at some point on my run) that I was going to try Juanita's Tacos on 5th Street (in the little train, as Shelli called it). O.M.G. Best breakfast taco I've had in a long time. Maybe ever. Perhaps it was the homemade buttery tortilla. Or perfect mix of eggs and peppers and tomatoes and cheese. I ordered one migas taco, but I regret that I did not order four.

Later that morning - yes, morning because I had been up, run 7 miles, shopped at Lowe's and watered my friend's plants before 11 am - I took a trip to Tacodeli for an order of 1 Heather taco and 1 Happy taco. I can't decide which one I like better, but they are both equally delicious to the infinity power.

And just when you'd think I'd had enough tacos, I made taco filling with those Morningstar Farms meatless crumbles and a package of taco seasoning, which kind of capped off my yearning for tacos for a while. I mean, it's not the way I wanted the taco to go out that day, but since I'd gorged on three not-as-healthy-as-fake-meat tacos already, I felt I needed to be kind to my insides. (HA!) Pretty much I am now of the belief that meatless tacos have been overplayed (at least at my house). I'm retiring that recipe for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment