Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 195 = Resistance Bands + Let's Get Physical

There are a lot of ways to work out. Tonight, I selected resistance bands because I was tired and my hip was a little sore, but since this is about 90 days/90 workouts, I just want to go over some others. I mean, you can think of this on your own - go for it. I won't stop you. But I found this nifty "workout guide" with 7 workout options when I was cleaning out my garage and wanted to make some comments on it.

1. Walk - This works. I ran my first 5k in 2002 in about 45 minutes. That is really slow. Like a 15-minute mile. Then I took a 3-month sabbatical around Europe and did a lot of walking and the next 5k I ran, I finished in 35 minutes. I shaved 10 minutes off my time by increasing my endurance from walking. Walking also prevents injury. So even if I just have 20 minutes for a workout, it is better for me to walk than to sit on the couch and eat kettle chips.

2. Run - This is my preferred method but not always the safest. It makes you injury prone, and not just for face plants. I've had shin splints and knee problems - and trained and ran a marathon with both. Now a hip problem. Sometimes the muscles in my lower back are so tight I can barely allow anyone to touch them. In fact, according to my MRI pics, my ass looks like a steak. And the calorie-burning potential is insane. Expect to burn about 100 calories for every 10 minutes of running.

3. Step Class - Hate it. Next.

4. Play Tennis - I took tennis in college as an elective and earned an A. Am I good? No. But I will go play with anyone on a dare or if I'm drunk.

5. Swimming - Many mornings in high school started out like this for me: 6 am, I was awoken by my dad turning on the light and pulling the covers off my bed. "Get up. Let's swim." This was my alarm clock and my cue to put on my suit so I could race him in the pool. He always beat me. So sometimes I opted out and rode the stationary bike in the kitchen.

6. Clean House - Bitch, please. There are kind people who you can pay to do this.

7. Bicycling - People in Austin LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE their cyclists. See how I just exaggerated that ridiculous spelling? Sorry, but some cyclists are pretty ridiculous. You'd think people - especially cyclists - forgot that PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. They still do, by the way. Austinites have bumper stickers that say "be kind to cyclists." Doesn't mean they have to own the road, though. Remember how I said my ass hurts from running? Do you really think I want to get on a bike with a tiny seat that feels like sitting on the end of a broom? The only reason I want a bike is so I can ride it up to the bar.

Feel free to comment on your favorite workouts....

No comments:

Post a Comment