Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 335 = Running + The Runner's High

Austin has seen some crazy rain in the last few days, but tonight I knew I must set out and run in the rain. So I got dressed with my green gloves and green weather-proof parka, but when I went outside at around 7:22 pm, the rain had stopped. I was looking forward to running in the rain, actually. Even though I'd already washed my hair today, I was willing to get it wet again from running in the rain.

I ran 3.22 miles. It's a new route that I made up, which I think is a little safer to run when it's dark outside. Then it happened.

For the first time in probably 6 years, I got a runner's high. I was almost to the halfway mark of my run when I started to feel it. At first it just felt like my feet were gliding. I even questioned, "Did I take some drugs today?" No. I had not. When I headed home, I still felt like I was floating. It felt so good. My feet felt different in my shoes, and I could feel a breeze on my toes. I stopped to remember what kind of socks I'd put on, and yes, they are the same socks that I always wear when I run. The endorphins were really showing up this time and not just phoning it in.

That's the thing about runner's highs - for me, anyway - is I never know when they're going to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment